Friday 18 July 2014

Try a Tri

I am new to road biking, I had been spinning this winter and really got into it so I bought my first road bike this summer! I decided to set some goals, if I was going to invest in this equipment (cycling as I found out is an expensive sport, but I guess what sport isn't)

My Cannondale!!!

On July 12, 2014 I complete my first triathlon at Lac Delage in Quebec! I was already going there to see my family and was missing most of the races at home so I decided why not! I packed up my bike in a monstrous case and hauled it to the airport!

For me doing a triathlon was definitely out of my comfort zone. I have always been a swimmer but never in open water, and I had only been on my bike a handful of times, but the running I knew I had down! I signed up only weeks before the event because getting out of that comfort zone is only how you grow.


I really recommend signing up for a race while you are away because it keeps you training. It could have been so easy to laze around on my holiday but with that race in mind, I was going for morning runs and rides!

There is so much to triathlon training that I had no idea about before! Practicing faster transitions, breathing techniques for open water and even the way you lay out your gear is a science! There is so much that I learned along the way, thanks to youtube videos and with some help from my supporters around me!

I LOVED my experience and love the training too! When you are used to training for half and marathons it is so nice to have a spin or a cycle day in your training! Easier on the body too!
I also surprised myself and did much better than I thought with my times. It was funny because they have your race number and age painted on your calf and during the race it kept me motivated to pass people in my age category, that's just the competitive side of me!

Now that I hooked I'm chasing some better time goals. I will be posting some training gems that I find along the way in here so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment