Wednesday 30 July 2014

PiYo

I have always needed to work on flexibility and balance and PiYo does just that plus strength and cardio intervals with no equipment! 




This program came at the perfect time, I was travelling visiting my family in different places so to do a program where all I needed was a small space and a DVD player was key! Plus I was going to compete in my first triathlon so I needed to stretch and lengthen and work on the small balance muscles!

This program also works a lot on the powerhouse, THE CORE but not just by doing the traditional exercises like crunches but more by with dynamic movements.  I am always SOAKED when I am done a work out and the sessions range from 25-45 min. Plus Chalene Johnson is FUNNY, I love her as a trainer she's motivating and I love her comments!



Here is the rundown on the what is included in the pack:

1) Align- shows you the fundamentals on how to get started right and performing the moves with proper form
2) Define: Lower Body- Getting "gorgie" (as Chalene would say) legs there are some static poses and dynamic poses as well
3) Define: Upper Body- This includes core and arms, there is a lot of tricep pushups working the back of the arm which I know I need to work on. Of course there are modifications to the moves because I can't yet perform some of the moves on my toes so it is a work in progress
4) Sweat- This is a 35 min session and offers more traditional PiYo moves which are unique to this program that you won't find anywhere else!
5) Core- Working on the powerhouse while working on everything else!
6) Buns- One of my FAVOURITES thought it was just going to be the glutes but turned out to be hamstrings, legs and the outer hip/glute to get that nice dent in your booty. I have to tell you I went for a bike a day after I did this workout and I really felt my outer butt which is what I want, that is a hard area to work on!
7) Strength Intervals- Great if you need a circuit cardio/strength style workout
8) Drench- The longest workout of the bunch, really tests your endurance and ability to hold some poses 

9) Sculpt- total body workout only 30 min!
10) There is a bonus hardcore on the floor workout which is also a core workout without leaving the mat!

Another BONUS is Turbo Fire low HIIT 20 which is a cardio interval workout too!

I am always working up a great sweat with these workouts and also learning some new moves such as: 
Crow Crouch (Tricep): Head tricep pushup while crouching then finishing with leg straight in the air
PiYo Pike: From the t-stand position, take the raised arm and curl it under your body lifting your hips into the air in a pike and crunching your abs.
PiYo Flip: One of the toughest moves. I could not for the life of me get this move at first, but after watching a break down of it on YouTube totally get it and find it fun! 
Beast: One all fours, lift your knees off the ground and hold in tabletop then tap with alternate arms to really get a burn!
Kick Thru: From the Beast, bring one leg through and kick it, rotating in that direction and lifting the opposite arm in the air.
-PiYo Push-up (inch worm to the group, Tricep Push-up x3, walk hands back to feet, Roll Up, Chair Squat)

Some of the YOGA POSES that are incorporated are:
-Plank
-Child's Pose
-Tricep Push-up
-Chaturanga & Up Dog
-Down Dog
-Down Dog Split
Warrior Series
-Warrior 1
-Warrior 2
-Right Angle
-Triangle
-Flow (Warrior Series - Right Leg, Left Leg Leads)
-Tricep Push-up
-Warrior 3
-Half Moon

This program has been a great CHALLENGE for me! If this sounds like something you would like to do email me!

PIYO CHALLENGE PACK

No comments:

Post a Comment